Skip to content
The GoIndependent project started 2017 and the second phase started 2019. Feasibility of different technologies and approaches was evaluated in the first phase and showed for example
- Addition of xanthan to food for those suffering from swallowing disorders enhances safe swallowing.
- Stronger taste and aroma adjusted to seniors’ impaired teste and smell improved liking and can thus increase food intake.
- The possibility of 3D printing complex food shapes from homogenized food ingredients was demonstrated, but the consistency and nutritional density needs to be improved.
- Physical and oral exercises combined with textured, munchy food had a remarkably positive effect on muscle strength, oral functions, and nutritional intake in an intervention study in Japan.
Phase 2 of the project will focus on
- munchy and soft munchy foods for retained oral function of healthy seniors
- soft food for seniors with incipient frailty, for safer swallowing and increased taste and aroma adopted to the impaired senses of the seniors.
- automated home-3D printing for personalized food including new ingredient supply systems
- increased frail and pre-frail senior intake of protein and total energy combined with increased physical activity.
- a permanent autonomic frail prevention program by community dwelling older adults in Japan, and new exercise programs for pre-frail seniors to be combined with the increased protein and energy intake.
- New sensors for monitoring of physical activity and swallowing and eating.